More than a dozen Warm Hearth Village (WHV) residents and employees participated and medaled in the New River Valley Senior Games this year. The games have been held for more than 35 years and participants must be at least 50 years old to enter. The games were organized by Montgomery County Parks and Recreation with participants from Town of Blacksburg, Town of Christiansburg, Floyd County, Giles County, Montgomery County, Pulaski County, the City of Radford, the Town of Wytheville, and Wythe County. WHV was proud to be a sponsoring partner of the senior games for the second year.
Medalists (in alphabetical order):
- Susan Bixler: Mini Golf/Silver
- Roland Byrd: Cornhole/Bronze
- Linda Frazier: Bowling/Silver; Mini Golf/Gold
- Cynthia Hayes: Mini Golf/Gold
- Karen Nelson: Mini Golf/Gold; 1 Mile Walk-Run/Gold
- Bernard Nester: Bowling/Silver; Cornhole/Silver; Frisbee/Silver; Shuffleboard/Bronze; Mini Golf/Bronze;
- Ellen Rorrer: 1 Mile Walk-Run/Gold
- Kevin Stieper: Mini Golf/Gold
Showalter Center resident Linda Frazier medaled in two events in the 80+ group and was the oldest participant from the Village. “I have participated in lots of activities with Montgomery County Parks and Recreation ever since moving here in 1999. I used to be in a bowling league and I do Wii bowling at Warm Hearth so I decided to compete in bowling at the Senior Games along with miniature golf. It was good exercise and was a chance to have a good time with many friends. Parks and Recreation has lots of great activities for me,” she said.
WHV congratulates all who participated in the games and a special thanks to Montgomery County Parks and Rec for their leadership.